Upgrading SSRPM is usually straightforward and low risk. This KB will cover some basic steps that should be performed when upgrading SSRPM and help you recover in case any issues arise.
While upgrading SSRPM is usually a next-next-next type of install, there are some steps you should perform beforehand to make sure you're covered in case something goes wrong.
- Export the encryption key used by SSRPM.
- This is needed in case you need to reinstall the SSRPM service on the existing, or a new server.
- This can be done within the SSRPM Admin Console - Service Management menu - Configure... - Encryption tab. Press the Export Key button, and save the file somewhere it can be backed up (either on the current server, or a seperate file server).
- Backup the DB
- If you are using the local Microsoft Jet (Access) DB, you can simply stop the service and make a copy of the DB file.
- Default location: c:\program files (x86)\tools4ever\ssrpm\service\DataBase\SSRPMDataBase.mdb
- If you are using a SQL instance to host the SSRPM DB, you can use your prefered SQL backup solution, or backup the DB using SQL Server Management Studio.
- Install the new version of SSRPM from the executable.
- Normally this is done on the server hosting the SSRPM Service.
- This is a simple Next-Next-Next. Adjust the default options as needed for your environment.
- Open the SSRPM Admin Console. You should be prompted to upgrade the service. Let the upgrade finish.
- Update the SSRPM DB
- In the SSRPM Admin Console, go to the Service Management menu, Configure..., Database tab, Database Maintenance, and click the Upgrade Database.
- This ensures any updates that were included with the new version to the DB get applied to your DB.
- Copy the website from the Admin Console installation folder to your webserver, then update the configuration files and re-apply any customizations you have done.
- Default install folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Tools4ever\ssrpm\Admin Console\Examples\
- If you were using the 'Legacy' ASP web site, it is advised to switch over to the updated ASPX site. The new site does require at least or newer IIS 7.0 and .NET 4.5.
- Legacy Site: ..\Examples\Web Interface
- Modern Site: ..\Examples\Client Web Interface
- Please refer to the Web Interface Guide for more information on deploying and configuring the web sites.
- Deploy the updated COM object to your WebServer.
- This is as simple as copying the COM folder to the web server and running the two Register batch files from an elevated (admin) command prompt.
- Deploy the updated Admin Console to any other computers that have it. These might include other support personel or local workstations.
- Deploy the updated Client Software to your workstations.
- This can also be found in the Admin Console folder where you installed SSRPM.
- File name: SsrpmUserClientSoftware.msi
- Deploy the updated software using your prefered method of software deployment (GPO, SSCM, etc)
- More information can be found in the GPO Distribution Guide, available as part of the installed SSRPM Admin Console:
- Default Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Tools4ever\SSRPM\Admin Console\Documentation
That's it! If you follow these steps, you should have a successful SSRPM upgrade. If anything goes wrong, you can re-install your previous version of the SSRPM software, restore the DB, and import the encryption keys, and you should be back where you started. You can then reach out to Tools4Ever for additional support to help figure out what went wrong.